Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dinner tonight. . .

So to some, you will think, "what's the big deal?" To those family and friends who know me best will go "WOW, finally!" Let me explain . . .

Troy and I don't normally take the boys out to dinner, unless it's Wendy's or the local diner here in town. First we can't justify $50 for dinner, second I am just an over paranoid mom who doesn't want to have the hyper, wild child in a restaurant that everyone is looking at. Our boys struggle sitting still so it's just better and less stressful to have dinner at home.

Today at work my boss came out and said he had $100 gift certificate to Blackstone that needed to be used. We have heard rumors that the restaurant was closing, so rather than have it go to waste, he invited his son-in-law (my other boss) and family, plus Troy, I and the boys. My first reaction was to immediately decline. Nice thought, but are you kidding me? I thought I was off the hook because they were not going to meet for dinner until 7:30. Sweet that is TJ's bed time! Well after trying to confirm whether or not the restaurant was really closing it's doors or not, it was decided that dinner would be at 6. My boss was not taking no for an answer!

I called Troy and he thought cool! Of course cool for him, it was his night to cook and now he doesn't have too! When I told Hunter we were going to dinner with my bosses and their families, he yelled "HURRAY mom and what are their names?" He wants to know everyone's name, even strangers he says hi to in passing, he always wants to know their name. LOL! I had anxiety for an hour. What the hell am I going to do at a restaurant with two boys who are used to eating at 5:30, only order mac and cheese when we go to the local diner and really struggle sometimes using their quiet voices.

Troy worked hard today, plowing the snow, moving the trailers around before the snow melts, TJ had an accident while taking a nap so he had to do a load of laundry and he even loaded the dishwasher! WOW, I guess his reward was drinking beer all afternoon! Now let me tell you my boss is the Stake President so Troy was warned that no alcoholic drinks would be ordered at dinner. Troy did pull it off really well though and wasn't toasty enough that he was slurring his words, but was in no shape to drive! I thought oh gosh, what have I gotten myself into! LOL!

I do have to say the night actually went rather smoothly. Darren and Katie have 3 little girls, 5, 2 and a month old baby. You know my kids don't get out much because when the waitress brought out the carafs of water, Hunter boy goes "WOW mom those are big glasses of water." LOL! I was releaved to see that mac and cheese was on the menu ($6.95 though! are you freakin kidding me?!) Hunter, bless his heart, when his plate arrives, yells "mom it's not yellow, how come it's white?" Once we convinced him that it was okay to eat white cheese and noodles he loved it. TJ was a champ as well. Before dinner arrived the boys had warm bread, my salad had dried cranberries and TJ could not get enough. Troy ordered prime rib and it arrived with green beans, which are the boys favorite veggie. They were long and skinny . . . Hunter loved them, TJ freaked out and said he didn't want to eat a snake! Of course that made everyone laugh! I ordered chicken alfredo. It was okay, the few bits I got to have. It never fails, no matter what time dinner is, the boys alway have to go potty right in the middle. So I took both boys, well by the time they were both done with their business, everyone was done with their dinners. I wasn't willing to keep everyone waiting just so I could finish so I put it in a box and will enjoy the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

So Mom and Shelly we (more to the point I) survived. It's not anything I want to try again anytime soon, but just thought I would let you know that I was a big girl and we took the boys to a big kid restaurant! Yes I know people do it all the time, but it was outside my comfort level and a big step for me. LOL!

2 comments:

Sharida said...

Your AWESOME Michelle!! I know Billy hates eating out with our kids. But I don't care, I just don't wanna cook. LOL

Jen said...

Congrats! I relate to that "comfort level" feeling. I like my schedules and knowing how Noah will react. He just went to a Chinese restaurant for the first time for Aaron's Grandma's 85th b-day with a TON of people and my nerves were shot but he did great! As soon as he started fussing after a couple of hours we just hopped in the car, went home and I fed him...whew!