Friday, March 26, 2010

Sore Arm . . .

I know I have been a blog slacker. The week we went to Monster Jam my left arm started to ache from the elbow down. I was already seeing the chiropractor so I got his input. He thought it might be tennis elbow so he put me in a brace just below my elbow.

That first weekend with the brace I was out of my mind with pain. Now most of you know I have a pretty high pain tolerance . . . gave birth to my two boys naturally, had knee surgery and a hysterectomy with Motrion 800 only, so when I am in pain it's justified!

Well after six weeks of pain, just a little over two hours of sleep each night, and numb fingers I finally went to a surgeon last week. I have what is called radial tunnel syndrome. It's a pinched nerve on the top of my elbow (it is sometimes referred to as reverse tennis elbow). The reason I was out of my mind with pain when the chiropractor put the brace on is because that is where the pinched nerve is and it just made things worse. The doc said he was amazed I got thru the pain with no pain meds. A lot of patients take percocet or oxycontin to deal with the pain. Just my luck, nothing can be easy! The new doc put me on steroids to help with the swelling and hopefully relieve some of the numbness in my fingers, I am suppose to have a nerve test done next week to see how much damage is done.

He also gave me loratab to help with the pain at night so I can get some rest. My lack of sleep isn't helping my arm get any better either. He said he wanted me to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. I laughed and told him no way! I hate taking pain meds and with Troy working nights I need to be able to function if the boys need me. The doc asked that I take the meds on the nights that Troy is home so can take care of the boys, if need be. It's been nice getting 4 to 6 hours of rest instead of just two. I just hate how sick I get taking pain pills, I could do without the woozy tummy and migraine! The pain isn't as intense though and the numbness is improving each day. With any luck it will all be better before next Thursday and I can just bag the nerve test!

So that's my excuse for not keeping up on our blog. It hurts too damn bad to sit at the computer at home after working all day!

3 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Ouch! Good luck! My mom just has surgery yesterday on her hand and elbow for something very similar. I hope yours doesn't go that far and your pain ends quickly!!

Jake, Tayli, Jayli, Kynli & Charli said...

Ha you're too funny. You really do have a high pain tolerance, I believe that after all those examples. I like the medicine. I hope you get some relief soon!

Jenny said...

That sounds terrible. I hope you feel better soon.