Monday, September 14, 2009

First day of kindergarten . . .

Well the first day of kindergarten finally arrived for Hunter. August 31st was Hunter's first day of school! He was so dang excited! I can't believe how fast time flies. I took a long lunch that day so I could take him to school. I was a big girl and didn't cry!

Once we arrived he went running into his class, shouted out that he had glue sticks (that is the only thing the teacher asked us to bring) and grabbed the sticker with his name on it. I had created a color coded calendar (yes I know OCD) for his teacher, daycare and Troy. As a working mom I needed to know that everyone was on the same page, when Hunter went with daycare and when Hunter would be picked up by his dad. I checked with Mrs. Roberts to see if she need anything else, Hunter found his name to hang his back pack . . .
Then it was time for me to go. I gave Hunter a kiss and headed for the door. Hunter boy was so dang cute, from his circle of friends he shouts "have a good day mom I love you!" That's when I got a bit teary eyed! I am so glad that he loves school! Kudos to his daycare too! Hunter got a cool green back pack from all of his teachers chucked full of fun school supplies! Of course Hunter didn't want me to take back the transformer one we bought a week earlier, "it's okay mom, I will just use both!"

That night he brought home is first homework assignment. He had to put 3 things in a bag to stand up in front of the class to tell a little bit about himself. WOW who knew the first assignment would be so difficult. Trying to explain to my five year old that putting a toliet paper roll with glued paper on it, really wasn't what the teacher had in mind! After much thought in his bedroom Hunter came out asking if he could please take a transformer, he really liked playing with them. Sure, that would be okay I said. Then I asked if he wanted to take a little 4 wheeler toy since he likes to ride with his daddy. Oh my, the fit started all over again! No that is not what he had in mind.


While we were making dinner, Hunter asked if he could take something to show everyone that he likes to help me cook. Fabulous idea! He choose a measuring cup. Two down, one to go! I was trying to figure out something for him to take to talk about camping and riding the 4 wheeler. I suggested a picture of him, daddy & Travis on the 4 wheeler with the trailer in the background. It was a hit! He loved it!


On Wednesday, the first week of school, it was Hunter's turn to present to the class. He said the kids really liked his stuff! Glad we both survived his first homework assignment! LOL!

Hunter only got to go to school for a week, then it was assessment testing. During his week off the teacher sent home a figurine for the kids to create themselves with. I was a bit nervous considering our last assignment, but we made it through without a fight! LOL!
Now as most of you know I am not very creative at all, but we pulled out the construction paper, scissors, glue and went to town. Hunter didn't want to draw is own face, lord knows I can't draw so I suggested a picture. Hunter thought that was really cool! Then of course we had to decorate his stick figure shirt to match the transformer shirt he was wearing. Here is Hunter and his finished product! Very cute I must say!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Very creative! And I am glad to see all of these posts!